13 May 2020
What To Write In A Get Well Soon Card
It’s not always easy to know what to write in a get well soon card, and striking the right balance between showing your care and well wishes without being insensitive or grim can be tough.
While the get well soon message you choose will depend on the specific ailment of the recipient, we’ve gathered a selection of thoughtful get well messages for family, friends, and colleagues below.
Whether you’re looking for something heartfelt, funny, or poetic, browse our list of messages and choose one that you can personalise yourself in a get well soon card.
Funny get well soon messages
Laughter is often the best medicine and our funny get well soon messages are sure to provide the perfect dose.
- Here’s hoping you make a swift recovery because I can’t be bothered to come to the hospital again!
- Get well soon – you’re coughing like you’re on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.
- I heard pretenditis is terrible! Hope you get over it soon.
- My mate broke his left arm and left leg, but he was alright. Get well soon!
- When are you going to start paying my hospital car park fees? Get well soon, buddy!
- Exit hospital, enter pub. Cannot wait to have you back!
- Hurry up and get well soon so I can make fun of you again, guilt-free.
- Get well soon – headstones cost an arm and a leg!
- Your mum told me you were sick, so I made you a get well cupcake. But I ate it. Get well soon, buddy!
- What a waste of a sick day… You should use them for when you’re hungover!
Get well soon messages for family
Whether it’s for mum or dad, a brother or sister, or your long-lost cousin, choose the right get well soon message for a family member from the selection below, or adapt one to suit your needs.
- Seriously missing your face. Get well soon!
- We miss seeing your lovely face every day. Get your backside back home soon!
- The things you’ll do for attention! Well, you have all of ours now. Get back to us soon!
- Put your feet up and relax. We’ll do the rest.
- Sending positive family vibes to you! Get well soon.
- Milk this as long as you can. I would. Hope you feel better soon, though.
- Your loving family is waiting to welcome you back with open arms. Feel better soon.
- You will be back to your amazing self in no time!
- Keep thinking positively and stay strong - you'll be better before you know it.
- We all miss you and can’t wait to have you back. Get well soon!
Get well soon messages for boyfriends or girlfriends
A get well message for your loved one can be a little more personal than for other recipients, giving you the chance to really let them know how you feel and reassure them that you’re there no matter what.
- No wonder you have that fever, you’ve always been so hot! Get well soon, babe.
- No matter how dark you feel now, just know that you are the light of my life. Get well soon.
- I’m the love doctor and have just the right medicine for you. You’ll be feeling better in no time!
- Sickness comes and goes, but I will be here forever. Feel better soon.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe medicine for two. Because when you feel sick, I do too. I love you. Get well soon.
- I’ll be prescribing a massive dose of me when you’re out of there! Get well soon.
- Did the doctor prescribe you time with me? Because until he does, you’re going to feel poorly.
- Your doctor will heal your body, but I will heal your heart. Sending you all the love in the world.
- My heart aches for you. Come back to me soon.
- I hope my wishes make you feel better, just as your smile always makes me feel better.
Get well soon messages for friends
Provide some comfort to friends near or far with a get well soon message that they’ll appreciate. If you have a humour-filled relationship, this is your chance to brighten their mood with a funny message.
- You are such a strong person and I know that coming through your illness will only make you stronger. Get well soon.
- Let the doctor work his magic, then we will work ours. Get well soon, from all your best friends.
- All your hot fever needs to heal is the company of a cool friend like me. Get well soon, buddy!
- Your companionship lights up my life. Get well soon, dear friend.
- You’ll be up to your old tricks again in no time, mate! Get well soon.
- Hang in there, pal. Get well soon.
- I hope to see you bounce back to your usual self soon. You're such a wonderful friend, and I hate seeing you under the weather. Get well soon!
- May your recovery road be short and straight. Sending you all my positive vibes to get well soon!
- I know you’re feeling crummy, but you are the toughest cookie I know! Hope you feel better soon.
- We’re waiting for all this to blow over at the Winchester. Meet us there when you’re better!
Get well soon messages for colleagues
It can be tricky to think of something unique and meaningful to say when a colleague is sick and a get well card gets passed around already filled out with 10 messages you might have chosen. Here are some ideas for a message that stands out.
- Studies show that those who receive get well cards have an 80% faster recovery rate. See you at the office bright and early!
- Miss you around here! Get well soon.
- You’ll be up to your old tricks again in no time! Get well soon.
- Can’t wait till this all blows over and you’re back at the office. Get well soon.
- The office isn’t nearly as fun without you, please get well soon and come back to us.
- The entire firm is thinking about you and hopes you get well very soon. Who is supposed to do all the work around here?
- What a waste of sick leave… Next time use it when you’re hungover!
- Get well soon buddy. You’re on sick leave, not your summer holiday.
- You have many people to help you cope with your sickness at home, but there is nobody to help me cope at the office! Get well soon.
- Can’t wait to see you back at the office when you’re ready. Get well soon!
Get well soon messages after surgery
Going through surgery can be harrowing and exhausting. The right message can help to cheer people up and get them excited for recovery and returning to normality.
- Here's hoping that you get well soon. Hope your road to recovery is short and sweet (or long, if you’d prefer!)
- I always knew how strong you are, but you've really proved it during surgery. Hope you're feeling back to your old self soon.
- It's great to hear that you're doing so well after your surgery. Now, hurry up, and come back to us!
- Hoping you're recovering well from your surgery and beginning to feel like your old self. Get well soon, friend.
- I’m so pleased your surgery went well. Can’t wait to see you soon.
- Fantastic news to hear your surgery was a success. Take care and get well soon!
- Can’t wait to see you back in action after your surgery. Take care and see you soon!
- I’m thrilled your surgery was a success. Let’s catch up as soon as we can.
- Thrilled that your surgery went so well, sending love and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
- Surgery’s done, now let’s have some fun.
Get well soon messages for cancer patients
Knowing the right thing to say to a cancer patient is a minefield, more so than with many other illnesses, as it’s hard to empathise properly unless you’ve been there. These messages will help you make an impact in encouraging, uplifting, or at least amusing a cancer patient.
- They say laughter is the best medicine, unless you have cancer; in which case chemotherapy is probably your best bet.
- I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this but I’m certain you’ll come through it. Why? Because you’re you and you always do.
- You’ve never let anything beat you so why start now? You will get through this, just like you always do.
- As if cancer stands a chance against you! It’s clearly picked the wrong person to mess with. We just can’t wait to have you home.
- I know that this is a difficult time for you, but we just wanted you to know that you’re an inspiration to us all.
- You are the toughest person I know. I can’t believe cancer would dare to think it stood a chance against you. I feel sorry for the cancer.
- I won’t try to pretend I understand, but I just want you to know that I love you.
- Cancer picked on the wrong person this time! Sending you all the love in the world.